Youtuber Andrew Callaghan Accused: Andrew Callaghan, a YouTube star, apologized and said he would get help after two women accused him of sexual coercion and sexual assault on Sunday.
Callaghan is a freelance journalist known for his YouTube shows “All Gas No Brakes” and “Channel 5.” He spoke for more than four minutes in a video on his Instagram page. He told his followers that, because of the accusations against him, he needed to do some “serious work” on himself.
Callaghan said, “So I’m going to start therapy sessions soon.” “Also, I don’t want to blame alcohol, but I think it played a role in my bad decisions. I also think that alcohol, in general, has been evil for me. So I think I will decide to join an Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program.”
Caroline Elise was the first woman to accuse Callaghan publicly. In a TikTok video earlier this month, she let Callaghan stay at her house but made it clear that they weren’t going to hook up. Elise said that Callaghan got into her bed and kept pushing her until she agreed “to do things I wasn’t proud of.”
Elise said that the only reason Callaghan got her permission, in the end, was because “he wore me down.” A second woman, who uses the online name Dana, said that Callaghan touched her without her permission while she was driving him home.
She said he kissed her on the neck, felt the inside of her thigh, and tried to put his hand down her pants. Dana didn’t answer when she was asked to comment, but she did say that she and Callaghan had sex before but didn’t want to have sex with him again.
Callaghan didn’t talk about the specific accusations, but he did say that what he did was a type of “sex pest behavior” that young boys and men have come to accept.
“I thought you were a loser if you went home alone from the bar,” he said Sunday. “I thought being persistent was a way to show how nice you are. And I thought, “You know if someone wasn’t interested at first, they’re just being hard to get, so I should try harder.”
Callaghan says he always took “no” as a final answer, but he also says he is to blame for not knowing “what enthusiastic, two-way consent looks like.” Last week, Callaghan’s lawyer said something about the accusations against him.
The representative said, “Talking about pressure and consent is very important, and Andrew wants to have these talks so he can continue to learn and grow.”
“Andrew promises to do better in this area and reminds his audience that even one worried partner is too many but that there is always more than one side to a story. Andrew is fully committed to working with the right professionals to learn more about himself and how he can grow and improve, especially as his platform grows and makes him more vulnerable.
YouTuber Andrew Callaghan apologizes for “sex pest behavior”. https://t.co/ESajvmKXtD pic.twitter.com/PyBI1iDKlK
— Newsweek Culture (@NewsweekCulture) January 16, 2023
Callaghan became well-known for his show “All Gas, No Breaks.” In it, he talked to people from unusual groups, like Bigfoot hunters, porn stars, and the Proud Boys. Together with the social media company Doing Things Media, the show came out in the fall of 2019.
Callaghan later started a new YouTube show called “Channel 5”. He recently directed a film called “This Place Rules” about the riot at the Capitol on January 6. The movie, made with the company A24, came out on HBO Max just a few days before the first allegation video went online.
For almost 4 years, Jason Martin has been a freelance writer for newspapers, journals, blogs, books, and online material. He covers the most recent news as well as many other topics.