5-Year-Old Swept Away: Officials said that the search for 5-year-old Kyle Doan, who was taken from his mother’s arms by rushing floodwaters on Monday, went on Friday, but with fewer teams.
Members of the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Team, the Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team, and the California Highway Patrol air units are still looking for the boy. Still, the National Guard and other outside agencies have been taken off the mission.
A news release from the authorities said that the searchers focused on where the San Marcos creek in Central California flows into the Salinas River. More than 200 people looked for Kyle on Thursday.
Nate Paul, chief deputy of the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office, said that search teams from several counties went “bank to bank” and looked through brush piles for any clues that might lead them to the child. Meanwhile, dive teams searched below the surface of the water.
Authorities say the boy with blonde hair and hazel eyes was swept away Monday near San Miguel. Since then, the search for him has been interrupted by bad weather that has hit California and left piles of mud and trash that search teams have had to go through.
There have been hints that the police are looking in the right place: Paul said that teams had found things from the SUV that Kyle and his mother were driving in on Monday morning.
Thursday was an important day in the search because it stopped raining quickly. The rain will start again on Friday. “There is still hope. “We are looking for Kyle, and until we find him, this case will stay open as a missing person case,” he said.
Almost 16 Million Will Be Under Flood Advisories
The rain on Friday is the latest in a string of storms that have hit the state in the past few days, killing at least 19 people. This is just the start of what is likely to be another hard weekend. Central California’s coast and valley, home to nearly 16 million people, is under a flood watch from Saturday through at least Sunday.
At a news conference on Friday, California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services Director Nancy Ward said, “These storms are among the most deadly natural disasters in our state’s modern history.”
“We are working closely with Monterey County, Santa Cruz, and Merced officials, likely to be struck by the next two or three storm systems. This includes the possibility that the Monterey Peninsula will be cut off completely.”
Missing 5-year-old swept away by California floodwaters ID’ed as Kyle Doan https://t.co/oSuEytI0PN pic.twitter.com/XN1wzg4Mpa
— New York Post (@nypost) January 11, 2023
Officials say that as of Friday, 6,000 people have been told to leave their homes. An atmospheric river will likely hit the northern and central California coast on Friday. Still, it won’t be as strong as the atmospheric river events that killed people, caused mudslides, and forced thousands of Californians to leave their homes earlier this week.
Mayor Karen Bass of Los Angeles declared a local emergency because of storm damage from the past and dangerous weather this weekend. Please tell your friends about this if you think it’s interesting. Go to Lighthousejournal.org for the latest updates and news about celebrities.
Emma is a Master of Science candidate at the California Institute of Technology. Since approximately four years ago, she has been a freelance writer, producing content for newspapers, magazines, blogs, and the internet